What Is Sexy?
hat is sexy?
By definition Merriam-Webster says:
- Sexually suggestive or stimulating: EROTIC
- Generally attractive or interesting: APPEALING
I think for me it is something in between EROTIC and APPEALING. It has a lot to do with feeling confident and feeling beautiful. All of it comes from what is inside of you.
This is not about vanity or conceit. It is simply stepping into your power; owning who you are, where you’ve been and where you’re going.
In this middle of life time, we’ve grown into the faces and bodies that we now own. We’ve earned each and every wrinkle, age spot, scar or stretch mark. We’ve earned each and every pound gained and shed. Some of those have come through incredible joy but many have come by heartbreak or loss.
Our faces and bodies may not be as supple and limber as they once were but there is still incredible beauty, strength and vitality there. We do our best to take care and nurture ourselves by eating well, exercising, getting enough sleep and maintaining our mental, emotional and spiritual well-being. Most of the time, anyway.
There is something to be said about the people around you making you feel good about yourself. Each one of us is responsible for their own esteem but having people around you who do not honour or respect you, elevate you and even challenge you be your best self does erode your confidence and self-esteem.
Make sure you choose to be with those friends and family who elevate you, and most especially if you have a partner that person should support how you feel about yourself.
An article in Huffington Post listed 7 things that make a woman sexy and I have to agree, they are a good start.
1. Confidence – The appearance of being confident by walking with your head held high, being able to make and maintain eye contact and a great smile.
2. Ambition – Having goals and going after what you want.
3. Passion – For your work, for people or any interests or goals that you have. Having the desire to pursue all these things.
4. Kindness – What could be more sexy than kindness?!!
5. Honesty – This is getting into the more substantive qualities that make us gravitate towards certain people and avoid others.
6. Class – This is not represented by the name of your handbag or the car that you drive, rather is the dignity and respect that you show towards everyone and everything. Perhaps, we can say the integrity with which you lead your life.
7. Intelligence – I think we’ve all been attracted to someone based on appearance but I think you need to be able to have a conversation or discussion that is engaging, informative and maybe even challenging.
I wrote a piece about being #sociallybrave in an earlier blog post. In it I wrote about feeling invalidated and choosing to play small. At that time, I barely felt attractive let alone sexy. Well, the Universe was going to have none of this so my world was shook.
What shook out is a new me but really is the old me, only now older and perhaps, a little wiser. I am slowly finding myself and feeling my confidence return. Oh my goodness, I can now take photos and feel good about myself. The smile is real and it is coming from my heart, and I am not looking for a partner’s validation.
Dare I say, I may be getting my groove back.
So, I invite you to find your sexy. Don’t do it for anyone else but for yourself. Don’t know where to start? Start by looking in the mirror and really seeing yourself. Look into your eyes and connect with that part inside of you that is your essence, the true you. Bring that woman out and let her shine. Do this every day and you’ll see, you are going to shine.
Think about it, what makes you feel sexy?
Send me a note, leave me a comment.